Dear Writers & Photographers,
When we’re trying to make a good impression on our social media, we sometimes get caught up in what we think is important to share as oppose to what we actually should be sharing. Often it’s the case of resorting to following the herd because that’s what people seem to want…
It’s not an easy world navigating your way through social media. I liken it to being back at the school playground and trying to make friends and having your confidence and self worth shattered because someone doesn’t like you. Each time we post Instagram images, we are setting ourselves up to be judged. If you’re only getting a handful of likes, it’s as though your efforts have gone to waste. Even though you my have posted what everyone seems to be posting at the moment: food, girls in bikinis, more food, a street scene, a door…you get my drift. Your Instagram images are still not quite hitting the mark. Why?
What’s setting you back from making an impact?
Here’s a few tips to consider:
- Get focused. What are you trying to communicate and WHY? If you’re using Instagram for your business, think about your client. Who are they? What are you going to help them with today? How are the Instagram images relevant to your product and what you’re trying to communicate? Think of your client each time you are posting, what their needs are and how this will benefit them.
- Trust your Voice. Your voice is authentically yours. That means: your perception, your influences, what inspires you is directing what and how you communicate. Don’t try to sound different. The minute you do, you’ve lost your audience. We want to hear your voice, your opinions, we want to hear your message. There are enough of us on this planet to all have our own audience. You are not going to attract everyone, so don’t bother trying.
- Share your passion. What lights you up, is what you can speak about most naturally. You’re not trying to force anything, because what you’re sharing is coming from the heart. This is what each post needs to be driven with. It needs spark, inspiration…It needs your love of what you do to burst through that screen. Get connected with your passion, share it with the world. Your passion is your key to hooking in your people.
- Engage your audience. Pretty pictures will only take you so far. Your words enhance the quality of those Instagram images. Each time you are using your words, your audience is getting an insight into who you are. This is how they start to connect with you. Communicate with them. Ask them a question, get their opinion, interact with them. There’s a reason why they call it social media. So get social.
- Don’t copy others. Don’t post what you think is the most popular thing to put up. Instagram is completely unpredictable. I’ve put up Instagram images that I’ve loved and gotten marginal likes, then I’ve put up Instagram images that have not been personal favourites and received an influx of likes. There is no guessing what people are going to respond to. But the key is to staying completely authentic to your vision and your interests. When you start posting images that aren’t relevant to those things, then you’re only confusing your audience.
The clearer you are in what you want to communicate and why, the more connected you are in your passion, then the more likely you are to light up your audience and invite them into your amazing world. Trust your gut, it never fails you. If you’re not excited by what you’re about to say and share, chance are your audience won’t be either. Let your passion ignite you and steer you every time you wish to share with the world. Let the thrill of what you love be the vehicle that lights up your audience…
Happy travels, Paula x
p.s: If you want to kick start your 2018 and learn how to take gorgeous photos and write great content that’s going to connect your audience, then this is your chance to join me and the amazing Paola Bacchia in Melbourne for a day of Inspiring Your Creative Flair. For more info email me: firstname.lastname@example.org